Friday, January 18, 2013

Kielbasa Casserole

I love snow days! Something about snow days is relaxing, being able to take your time, do what you want, take it easy... My kids enjoyed scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast, hot dogs and fries for lunch, and now I've started a casserole for dinner. My kids are not a big fan of kielbasa. They tolerate it, but just because I cut it into pieces and say it's like hot dogs. I've already started browning the kielbasa and cooking the veggies, but I warned the boys that even though it's not a favorite of theirs, its IS one of Daddy's favorites and they'll need to eat some anyway. Then Jonah went into the kitchen, pointed at the stove and said "Daddy! Daddy!" Lol. I came across a similar recipe on pinterest, which I just used as my jumping off point for this. I use more spices than the original called for and I use kielbasa instead of  Italian sausage because no one in this house is a huge fan of Italian sausage. Anyway, here's our dinner casserole! Well, more or less - I didn't have any bell pepper or carrots, but it's still potatoes and onion! :)

Kielbasa Casserole

1 pkg. kielbasa
1 pkg. Italian dressing mix
1 can chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp fennel
2 potatoes
1 onion
1 bell pepper
3 carrots

Preheat oven to 450. Cut the potatoes into thick chunks, the onion into wedges, the bell pepper into slices, and the carrots into chunks. Place all veggies in a 9x13 baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the Italian dressing mix, chicken broth, minced garlic, and fennel. Pour over the vegetables and mix well. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven 45 min., until the veggies are tender. Meanwhile, cut the kielbasa into chunks and brown in a skillet over medium heat. Once the veggies are tender, stir the kielbasa into the mixture. Bake another 25 min., uncovered. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment