Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Apple Pie

I've mentioned before that we now have some groceries delivered from the Homestead Creamery. A few weeks ago, we added apple pie filling and cherry pie filling to our list for the week. I expected just a little thing of each - I was just going to squirt some on some crescent rolls and fry them for fried pies. But the pie filling was HUGE - a whole 2 lbs.! I was able to make several fried pies and had at least 3/4 of the tube left!
 It's not so much that making fried pies is a pain or anything, it's just a bit time consuming when you've got 3 kids underfoot. Josh suggested I make an apple pie... Well, I'm not that great making a crust. I've tried before, and somehow I just never have enough enough dough to make a bottom and top crust. So I found this recipe that's just a bottom crust. That's my kind of recipe! :)



Apple Pie

1 c flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c water
2/3 c shortening
1 egg
21 oz. can apple pie filling

Preheat oven to 425. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then add in the water, shortening, and egg. Mix with a mixer until well combined and smooth. Lightly grease a pie pan, then spread the dough in. Spread the pie filling over the crust but DO NOT STIR. Then just bake 40-45 min. (until crust is browned) and enjoy! :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment