Friday, January 25, 2013

Stepping Stone

I don't know about you, but I am officially sick of winter. My kids stay sick. Any time I want to do anything (such as go to the store!), either one of the kids is sick or it snows. I've got a horrible case of cabin/spring fever today! AHHH! So that's when you've got to start finding ways to keep the kids (and self!) busy. I've got some canvases we'll probably paint at some point, but Elijah and I decided we'd start with trying to make a stepping stone to put out by the sidewalk. Pretty simple! And fun! Not an eating recipe, but it's still a recipe, and the title of this is "Dinner, Dessert, and Everything In Between" - just consider this an "in between" thing!

(not a very good pic, but you get the idea!)

This is just salt dough, so pretty simple:

1 c salt
1 c flour
1/2 c warm water
glass marbles

Preheat oven to 200 F. Mix all together. If you want to make a colored stone, add your desired food coloring (Elijah wanted purple) and form a ball. Line a pie pan with parchment paper. As thin as you can get it, roll the dough out in the pan. Gently push the marbles in the dough in whatever pattern you want. Bake in preheated oven 3 hours. When you remove it, if it still seems wet or doughy, flip it over and bake another hour. 

Fun and super easy to do! We'll definitely be making more, if I ever make it to the store to get more salt! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment